Redmi Note 5 and Note 5 Pro can be considered lucky among older Redmi series as the device is able to receive MIUI 12 update. On the other hand, devices launched after the Redmi Note 5 series like the Redmi 6, Redmi Y3, and some others do not have sufficient hardware requirements for MIUI 12, as announced by the company.
The Redmi Note and Note 5 Pro were expected to get the MIUI 12 update by November but, it didn’t happen. But now, the global variants of Redmi Note 5 and Note 5 Pro are getting MIUI 12 update via OTA (Over-the-Air). The update is hitting the devices with firmware version MIUI V18.104.22.168.PEIMIXM and weighs about 2.0GB in size.
The update is based on Android 9 Pie and brings new features, redesigned UI, and privacy features. There is still no news from the company about the rollout of updates to Redmi Note 5 series in India.
- Optimization: Full screen gestures are now ignored on the Lock screen alarm page
- Optimization: Animations in selected scenes
- New: Swipe down from the upper left corner to open Notification shade and from the upper right corner to open Control center
- Optimization: Control center is now closed by incoming calls
[Status bar, Notification shade]
- Fix: Notification shade wasn’t displayed correctly in Dark mode
The Redmi Note 5 / Note 5 Pro Global users might have already received the update. If not, then check it manually by navigating to Settings -> About phone -> System update. If you don’t want to wait longer, then use manual installation method to update your phone.
Steps to install the update
- Download the Recovery ROM (Link given above)
- Go to Settings -> About phone -> System update
- Click on menu button (3 dots) and select “Choose update package”
- Select the file you just downloaded and device will start installing the update
- Reboot your phone. That’s it.