Reliance Jio Announces Partnership With SES to Provide Satellite-Based Broadband Services in India

Reliance JIO

Indian telecom giant Reliance Jio on February 14 announced a joint venture with SES, a Luxembourg-based satellite-based content connectivity solution provider, to provide satellite-based broadband services in India.

In this joint venture, Jio Platforms Ltd. (JPL) will own 51% equity stake and the remaining 49% stake will go to SES.

“The joint venture will use multi-orbit space networks that is a combination of geostationary (GEO) and medium earth orbit (MEO) satellite constellations capable of delivering multi-gigabit links and capacity to enterprises, mobile backhaul and retail customers across the length and breadth of India and neighbouring regions,” the official statement said.

The satellite-based broadband solution will have the ability to offer up to 100Gbps capacity from SES. According to the same, the joint venture will help connect the unconnected areas within the country and the region to offer the full range of digital services.

“Jio, as an anchor customer of the joint venture, has entered into a multi-year capacity purchase agreement, based on certain milestones along with gateways and equipment purchase with total contract value of circa US $100 million,” according to the statement.

“While we continue to expand our fibre-based connectivity and FTTH business and invest in 5G, this new joint venture with SES will further accelerate the growth of multigigabit broadband. With additional coverage and capacity offered by satellite communications services, Jio will be able to connect the remotest towns and villages, enterprises, government establishments, and consumers to the new Digital India,” said Akash Ambani, Director of Jio.

Read the full statement here.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *